Back in 1989, two births were taking place. The first commercial internet service providers were popping. On the local scene Mitch Jericho and Edith O’Donnell founded Big Thought to “cultivate creativity and imagination in the lives of young people throughout Dallas.” Both bouncing babies have grown in importance and reach over the past 30 years.
To celebrate Big Thought’s 30th anniversary, the inaugural Edith O’Donnell Legacy Leadership Award will be presented to Big Thought founding board member Deedie Rose at Big Night on Saturday, March 2, at The Bomb Factory.
According to Big Thought President/CEO Byron Sanders, “It is incredibly fitting that Deedie Rose be the recipient of the inaugural Edith O’Donnell Legacy Leadership Award, as she has been a champion for youth, a true partner in Big Thought’s mission to close the opportunity gap, and someone whose work has had a real impact in our city and beyond.”
Deedie’s list of associations and accomplishments, both locally and nationally, include leadership positions with the Dallas Museum of Art and the Trinity Park Conservancy, board memberships (AT&T Performing Arts Center, National Council of the National Endowment for the Arts, National Park Foundation) and awards (the Linz Award and TACA Silver Cup).
Deedie commented, “Since its inception, I have believed in Big Thought’s mission to close the opportunity gap for our youth in our city. I am honored to work with such an organization and look forward to being a part of what I know will be an even more impactful future.”
Co-chairing the event will be Giles Davidson and Daniel Waldmann and Ginger and Rod Sager with Tucker and Rick Enthoven serving a honorary co-chairs, Underwriting Co-Chairs Janiece Evans-Page and Mark Page and Amy Ward-Meier and Ed Meier and 30th Anniversary Co-Chairs Randee Hefflefinger and Pat Porter.
But wait! There will be two other awards presented at Big Night including
- Paul Quinn College President Dr. Michael Sorrell will receive the 2019 Gigi Antoni Courageous Creator Award for “those who have taken bold, innovative approaches to empower young people to create social change” and
- Jose “Bone” Garcia will receive the Mitch Jericho Visionary Voice Award, which recognizes “a young person who has participated in Big Thought programming and is now using that experience to create a positive impact on the community.”
Top sponsors include:
- Supernova Presenting Sponsors: Deedie Rose and O’Donnell Foundation
- Brilliant Sponsorship: Fossil
- Dazzle Sponsorship: Jennifer and Peter Altabef, Tucker and Rich Enthoven, JP Morgan Chase
- Dazzle Featured Entertainment Sponsor: Astrid Merriman
All types of sponsorships and tickets are available to celebrate the anniversary festivities here!