While it may seem hot enough to roast a turkey on the sidewalk, the Dallas Arboretum is cooling down its admission fees for August. To gin up folks strolling the grounds for the entire month, general admission will be $3 per person.
For another $3 per person, the Rory Meyer Children’s Adventure Garden will be a site to behold and enjoy for kids of all ages. If you haven’t had a visit to the misters, you have literally missed a break from the heat. And this year they have a slew of kid-oriented activities, including:
Walne Family Discovery Lab: Daily at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. (Perfect for children 6 years old and up.)
- Monday, July 31 through Sunday, August 6 – Seeds on the Move
- Monday, August 7 through Sunday, August 13 – Cabbage Juice Chemistry
- Monday, August 14 through Sunday, August 20 – Strawberry DNA
- Monday, August 21 through Sunday, August 27 – Float in the Ocean
- Monday, 28 through Monday, September 4 – Walking on Water
OmniGlobe: Daily at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 24 through Sunday, August 6 – Animal Expeditions
- Monday, August 7 through Sunday, August 20 – Deep Space
- Monday, August 21 through Monday, September 4 – Exoplanets
Little Adventurers Storytime at 10:30 a.m.
- Monday, July 31 through Sunday, August 6 – Maple by Lori Nichols
- Monday, August 7 through Sunday, August 13 – Green is a Chile Pepper by Roseanne Thong
- Monday, August 14 through Sunday, August 20 – Our Community Garden by Barbara Pollak
- Monday, 8/21 through Sunday, August 27 – We are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
- Monday, 8/28 through Friday, September 1 – Water is Water by Miranda Paul
- Saturday, September 2 through Monday, September 4 – The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
- Monday, August 7 through Sunday, August 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Pepper Palooza
- Monday, August 21through Monday, September 4 – Bubbling with Excitement
- Daily at 12 p.m. – Bubble Paintings
- Daily at 1:30 p.m. – Eco-Bubble Snakes
- Daily at 3:30 p.m. – Float Your Boat
And there’s plenty more going on besides the rest of the Arboretum’s gorgeous grounds with their water features and shady groves.
In addition to weekends featuring local acts playing piano under the shade at Jeanne’s Pavilion from 12 to 2 p.m., there will be such special events as the Pepper Palooza from Friday, August 11 through Sunday, August 20, including a spicy vendor market on Saturday, August 12 and Sunday, August 13.
You’d better check out Gary Lee Price‘s Great Contributors and Quilters Guild of Dallas exhibits before Sunday, August 6, when they pack up and head home.
Naturally, A Tasteful Place will be a beehive of activity during the week with the following free activities:
- Mondays 11 a.m. – Dallas College Cooks Demonstration
- Tuesdays 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Tasteful Tuesdays Floral Demonstrations: Local floral experts provide how-to demonstrations;
- Tuesdays at 1 p.m. – Daily Tastings Demo with Chef Isabel
- Wednesdays 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Chef-tastic Cooking Series: Learn as expert chefs cook dishes.
- Thursdays 11 a.m. – Daily Harvest. Learn about harvesting and growing from experts.
- Fridays: 11 a.m. – Learn to Grow Fridays Horticulture Presentation: Enjoy special tips and talks on seasonal gardening.
The grand finale to finish off summer and August will be a concert featuring Seger System, the Ultimate Bob Seger Tribute band ($20 adults).
Remember that advanced tickets are required, so go online for both your ticket(s) and parking that is $11.