According to Poiema Foundation Development Director Rod Vestal,
“Where giving thrives, communities thrive!” We are delighted to say, Poiema continues to thrive in our sixth year of North Texas Giving Day. Because of the generosity of NTGD donors, Poiema has received a total of $100,000 to help us in the fight against human trafficking in our communities. Here are some highlights:
- “Education — We have educated over 16,500 people about the dangers of human trafficking. Our various trainings include information on prevention, awareness, and a strength-based approach to trauma informed care for survivors. Our audiences include students, counselors, foster parents, CASA volunteers, minors in juvenile detention and their staff, law enforcement, churches, and many others. Our Human Trafficking curriculum for Health Care Professionals is approved by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- “Engage — Engaging the public to be eyes and ears in the community and identify victims of human trafficking is essential to ending this modern-day slavery. Poiema does this through our monthly outreaches which are held every Saturday. During outreach volunteers take posters of missing, vulnerable youth, throughout the Metroplex. They go to hotels, bus stations, truck stops, and first responders, throughout the Metroplex, asking them to keep watch for these children. We visit over 700 locations every month. In partnership with 4theOne Foundation, we have helped recover 263 minors, including 145 victims of trafficking or sexually exploitation.
- “Empower — Poiema operates a Safe House and provides long-term support for survivors of human trafficking. To date we have helped 25 precious women in our home. The success of our program is greatly dependent on resources provided by volunteers and donors. Opportunities to serve include, mentoring, game nights, home maintenance, or teaching one of our many classes: exercise, art, nutrition, cooking, and life skills. We continue to provide fellowship and community once women transition to independence. We also help girls who are still on the street. To date we have provided support to 54 survivors. Plans are underway to expand our home with the addition of four new bedrooms!
“Our NTGD campaign this year focuses on one critical question: ‘You think your kids are safe?’ The campaign will address current challenges related to human trafficking, such as:
- “Many parents and care takers are not aware that their child is vulnerable and may become a victim of human trafficking. The mindset is often, ‘That won’t happen to my child.’
- “Perpetrators are increasing the number of ways they gain access to children by using social media and gaming. This allows them to build relationships and turn interactions into opportunities to traffic innocent children and youth.
“Together, with generous donors and active communities, Poiema continues to advance our fight against human trafficking. Thank you for supporting the Poiema Foundation through NTGD. Because of your generosity, more children are safe, and survivors are now living in freedom and dignity.
“Let’s make this year our best one yet and thrive!”
* Graphic and photo provided by Poiema Foundation
In 12 years, Communities Foundation of Texas’ North Texas Giving Day has pumped more than $375 million into the North Texas community. In 2020, more than $58.8 million was raised through more than 106,000 donors benefiting over 3,200 area nonprofits.