According to Retina Foundation Of The Southwest Medical Officer Director/CEO Karl Csaky,
The Retina Foundation of the Southwest is an essential Dallas nonprofit whose mission is to prevent vision loss and restore sight through innovative research and treatment. The Retina Foundation is investigating solutions to eye diseases and conditions such as amblyopia (lazy eye), which affects one to two children in every classroom, retinitis pigmentosa, a rare disease that blinds approximately 100,000 people in the United States, and age-related macular degeneration, which affects approximately 18 million Americans. For many families in North Texas, we are the only hope for improved treatment options or novel treatments for diseases that currently have no treatment or cure.
Over the past five months, COVID-19 in the United States has changed life as we know it. However, the Retina Foundation’s mission and the research efforts behind it has remained constant. Our doors are open, and our patients continue to come in and continue their participation in clinical trials. In March, we received a letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to confirm that our clinical trials are essential and that our work needs to continue due to the long-term benefit to science. After developing new protocols and increased screening and safety procedures, our researchers returned to work at our research center and resumed seeing patients in April.
Each year, the Retina Foundation sees more than 2,000 children and adults for specialized vision evaluations, genetic testing and counseling, and participation in clinical trials – all completely free of charge. Our scientists are currently conducting 60 research studies and we invite the readers of MySweetCharity to help the Retina Foundation to continue with our essential work
Our organization is grateful for the generosity of our supporters, now more than ever, as we continue to make an impact on our community through our ongoing research.
To support the Retina Foundation:
- Make a secure online donation or sign up to give monthly at retinafoundation.org/donate or donate to the Retina Foundation of the Southwest during North Texas Giving Day this September.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter on the homepage of our website at retinafoundation.org.
- Join our Auxiliary with a one-year commitment or a lifetime membership. Learn more at retinafoundation.org/auxiliary.
- Attend our virtual and future in-person events and invite friends to attend with you. Visit our website for the most up-to-date information on our events.
- Reach out to one of our Development Managers to schedule an introduction meeting or a virtual tour.
* Graphic and photo provided by The Retina Foundation Of The Southwest