In recent years, there have been literal “pop-up” stories about house explosions resulting from a natural gas leak. Most folks just ho-hum about it thinking it won’t happen in their hood. But whoa! Some of these gas lines aren’t 21st century and just in case one has a leak due to change of the underground world shifting, it just might happen.
What’s even more ghastly is what to do in case your sniffer detects a hint of gas in the air. It’s far more than you might suspect.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Call 911 and Atmos Energy from a safe distance at 866.322.8667. It’s toll free, so don’t skimp because of the cost.
- Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match.
Well, to be honest all of the above are sorta “duh,” but now for Atmos’ additional and surprising tips:
- Do not turn on or off any electric switch. This could cause a spark, igniting the gas.
- Do not use a cell phone, telephone, garage door opener, doorbell or even a flashlight.
- Do not start or stop a nearby vehicle or machinery.
- Do not try to shut off a natural gas valve.
Share this info with your family, neighbors and friends. It could make a difference in the outcome.
* Graphic courtesy of Atmos Energy