There’s a mistaken idea that The Salvation Army Women’s Auxiliary just puts on a gangbuster fashion show and sale-athon. Well, yes, they’ve been doing that for ages but a lot more, too, ever since the Auxiliary was the brainchild of Margot Perot, Joanie Slaughter, Betty Harlan, Nancy Dedman, Millie Cooper and Carol Hailey back in 1991.
In addition to the 2023 “Giving In Style Fashion Show and Luncheon” on Tuesday, May 16, at the Meyerson chaired by Kim Quinn, they’ll be distributing Angel Tree gifts, stuffing Santa Sacks, serving dinner to victims of domestic violence, ringing the kettle bells and preparing back-to-school backpacks.
But all this activity requires volunteers, and that’s why 2022-2023 Auxiliary President Jennifer Dix and Membership Co-Chairs Carole Ann Brown and Kim Hext have added perks to Auxiliary membership.
According to Jennifer, the two new “opportunities for fellowship and service will be ‘Gifts Of the Harvest’ and ‘Gifts Of Love.’”
There are a variety of committees that members can support with the following programs:
- Focus on children and families when we fill backpacks with school supplies, stuff small gifts in our Christmas Santa Sacks, or provide a meal to women and children who are victims of domestic violence;
- Support Veterans by distributing lap blankets to those living in the VA Residential Center;
- Support sobriety and provide birthday cakes to families celebrating monthly milestones in recovery;
- Embark on the Spirit of Christmas and volunteer at the NorthPark Angel Tree, help with gift distribution at The Salvation Army Christmas and Disaster Center or ring a bell at an iconic Christmas kettle; and
- Sort inventory-donated couture clothing and accessories for the annual Fashion Show And Luncheon or volunteer at the Fashion Show After Sale.
Thanks to the Auxiliary, more than $15M has been provided for The Salvation Army of North Texas’ numerous life-changing and effective programs.
If you’re interested in becoming part of this team, you’d better hurry and apply here. The deadline to be included in the 2022-2023 membership directory is Friday, July 15.