Whoa! Claire Catrino is going to be a very busy fashion chair! In addition to chairing the 2022 Mad Hatter’s Tea and Fashion Show on Wednesday, April 20… but more about that later.
Tuesday night before the temperatures started their weekly drop, Claire and Women’s Council of Dallas Arboretum President Lisa Loy Laughlin revealed the plans plus the theme — “Dallas” — for the Tea’s 34th anniversary fundraiser benefiting A Woman’s Garden and the Dallas Arboretum.
Starting at 12:30 p.m., the Tea will kick off with the traditional champagne reception in the Scott K. Ginsburg Family Plaza with guests competing for the attention of the judges who will be selecting the top toppers of the day. Unlike years past when organizers have held off announcing the judges until the last moment to prevent such shenanigans as bribery, Claire and Lisa revealed both the categories and judges including:
- Best Use of Botanical Components: “Bluebonnets” judged by Dallas Arboretum CEO Mary Brinegar
- Most True to Theme: “Flying Horse” judged by Dallas Symphony Association Ross Perot President and CEO Kim Noltemy
- Best Big Over the Top Texas Hat: “Everything is Bigger in Texas!” judged by philanthropist Barbara Bigham
- Best Fascinator: “Uptown Girl” judged by Texas Ballet Theater Executive Director Vanessa Logan
- Best Group Hats: “Dallas Dynasty” judged by Crow Museum of Asian Art Executive Director Amy Hofland
- Best in Show: “Don’t Mess with Dallas” judged by featured celebrity designer Tanya Taylor
The People’s Choice Award: “Deep in the Hat of Texas” will be chosen by the guests.
Also during the reception guests will be able to bid on the silent auction that will include artwork by five featured artists — Cindy Avroch, Diana Brousseau, Lori Cusick, Barbara Durham, Kallie Hauschild, Sharon Lee and Addison Sloane. As a tip of the hat to these five artists, fashion designers, interior designers and “people who are creative in our community,” they will be recognized as the Inaugural Innovators in Design Awardees.
Following the reception, there will be a Jan Strimple produced fashion show featuring Tootsies clothes with a special scene of Tanya’s fashions, the presentation of awards and the tea.
Sponsorships and tickets are available here.
As for Claire, she may not have much time to tea, since she’s also chairing the fashion show segment of the Children’s Cancer Fund Gala that is taking place on Saturday, April 23.
* Graphic designed by Laura Loy Capps