Just in case COVID restrictions tightened up, Dallas CASA organizers decided to play it real safe for its annual Champion of Children fundraiser on Thursday, October 14. Instead of a seated supper in a hotel ballroom with a speaker, they staked claim on The Rustic’s outdoor setting with singer Bob Schneider on stage to the delight of the hundreds of guests who partied the night away. Here’s a report from the field:
Dallas CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) gathered to celebrate the annual Champion of Children dinner Thursday, October 14, at The Rustic. The event annually recognizes those in the community who are standing up for the best interests of children. The evening marked Dallas CASA’s first, unlimited in-person event in more than 18 months.
The event raised more than $300,000 for Dallas CASA, which provides trained community volunteers for child victims of abuse or neglect living in the protective care of the state. Volunteers are often the only constant adult during a frightening time in a child’s life.
Although a tent was in place in case of rain, the evening was dry and guests enjoyed a performance by Austin singer-songwriter Bob Schneider who played many of his award-winning hits and took requests from the audience. Boots and jeans were the attire for the evening.
Food followed a Texas theme with passed appetizers of wild boar meatballs, cactus fries and deviled eggs, followed by grilled ribeye and sides served with jalapeno spoon bread, topped off with banana pudding and a S’mores station for dessert. Canned drinks were served from a canoe, and blankets covered hay bale seating. Wood fires were surrounded by circles of casual seating.
Attendees included Dallas CASA board members Corey Anthony, Mark Berg, Beth Cholerton, Stephanie Stewart, Kristy Hoglund Robinson, Dave Kroencke, Laura Losinger, Cynt Marshall, Greg May, Scott Orr, Megan Sterquell, Terese Stevenson and Linda Swartz. Judges Kim Cooks, Rhonda Hunter and Drew Ten Eyck were also in attendance, along with Dallas County Commissioner Elba Garcia.
Sponsors for the evening included
- Presenting Sponsors Cynt and Kenneth Marshall and the Estate of Nancy and Rex Spivey;
- Live Music Sponsor Pioneer Natural Resources;
- Gold Sponsors Priscilla and Corey Anthony, The Fran and Mark Berg Family, Cynthia Comparin / Retta Miller, Crest Auto Group / Jana and Mike Brosin, Dallas Mavericks, Denise and Russell Harper, The Hirsch Family Foundation, The Hoglund Foundation, Linda and Rob Swartz and Leslie and Geoff Wayne.
- Silver Sponsors Rachel and Greg Barnes, Kimberly and Joe Colonnetta, The Rosewood Corporation and Russell Reynolds Associates.
- Bronze sponsors Suzanne Bryan, Debby and Hugh Comer, Janice Z. and Richard Davis, Nancy and Scott Fitzgerald, Tracey Nash-Huntley and David S. Huntley, InfoDefense, Inc., Lynn Brooks and Jeff Kindig, Kathleen and Michael LaValle, Laura and John Losinger, Hannah and Grey May, Gina and Russell Porter, RealCom Solutions, Susan and Paul Robinson, Sendero, Stream Realty, Quilling Selander Lownds Winslett and Moser P.C., Texas Security Bank and The Wales Family Foundation.
* Photo credit: Tim Heitman ** Photo credit: Rosanne Lewis