“Well, Dallas, you did it! You finished this school year like no other in history! Despite recent news focusing on test scores and data, I want to take a moment to give our educators a round of applause. I am so proud of the administrators, teachers, and students across the city who rose to every challenge and achieved amazing things in this pandemic-filled, winter-storm-panicked, socially-distant, emotionally-fraught year that tested everyone to the limits.
“And even though we are in summer mode and taking a much-needed breather, we also know that Dallas ISD educators are already working hard to start this next school year off right!
“Did you know that Dallas ISD teachers spend an average of $600 out of their own pockets to supplement classroom supplies? To fill this resource gap, United to Learn is hosting its 5th annual Learning Launch, an initiative that ensures our teachers have the supplies and resources their classes need to succeed. Learning Launch will provide custom supplies to each of our 49 campuses, benefitting 26,110 elementary students and 2,100 educators.
“Why is United to Learn’s Learning Launch special? Because we listen first. We ask our teachers to share specific needs, from leveled libraries to language lab audio kits to social emotional support techniques to math skill games. With support from people like you, United to Learn purchases these requested supplies and delivers them straight into the teachers’ hands.
“United to Learn’s Learning Launch alleviates the burden that teachers have carried this year and lets them know that we have faith in them! We also want to give education investors like you tangible ways to make a real difference.
“Thank you to our presenting sponsor Atmos Energy, we are off to a great start, but we still need your help! Donations to United to Learn of $500+ include tickets to the Learning Launch Back to School Fiesta in my backyard! Hosted by Katie Aisner, Flauren Bender, Margaret Hirsch and myself, we will be celebrating the back-to-school spirit on Thursday, September 9, 2021, and we want you to be there!
“Just imagine! Your donations could provide:
- “$20,000 – Specialty technology equipment to build 21st century skills
- “$10,000 – Leveled libraries to meet every learner’s needs
- “$5,000 – Cozy reading nooks and rugs for circle time
- “$2,500 – Storytime books and novels to engage young learners
- “$1,000 – Sensory building sets to develop fine motor skills
- “$500 – Literacy tool kits to guide small group lessons
- “$250 – Class set of headphones to access virtual content
- “$150 – Mindfulness baskets to help students regulate emotions
- “$50 – Classroom set of pencils and notebooks for every student
“To support Learning Launch, visit unitedtolearn.org/learninglaunch. Help us launch learning today!”
* Graphic/photo provided by United To Learn