For eight decades North Texas’ own Dickey’s has been serving up all type of barbecue. On Thursday, October 28, it’s going to celebrate its 80th anniversary with a party at The Rustic. And like any celebration, there will be loads of food, drinks, friends and music.
That last one has The Dickey Foundation searching for just the right source for the opening band. Instead of going to a booker, they’re holding a Band Contest. But it’s not the everyday type of “battle of the bands.” Because the “party is raising funds to support The Dickey Foundation and local first responders,” the competition will be between bands with a first responder or two or three in the group.
According to Foundation Executive Director Betsy Orton, “We hope to spotlight local first responders with this opportunity. This Anniversary party supports the Foundation, and we hope to have a lot of bands vying to be part of this special event.”
The entries will be selected by a panel of Dickey’s employees, with the winning band not only “opening the party with a 30-minute set, but also receiving a stipend of $1,000.”
Here are some of the rules for interested contestants:
- To enter the Dickey’s First Responders Band Competition, Dickey’s fans must comment on the Official Contest Post on the Corporate locations Facebook pages with their band’s video submission
- Alternate entry can be made by submitting a link to the band’s submission video on Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram via email to [email protected]
- There must be at least one active or retired First Responder in the band. First Responder is defined as Law Enforcement, Fire Department, EMS
- A winner will be selected and announced by July 15, 2021
- Must be a citizen of the US
- Must be aged twenty-one (21) or older
If you’re interested in playing along, you’ve got to pull your entry video together ASAP. The deadline for submission is Wednesday, June 30. The winning band will be announced on Facebook by Thursday, July 15.
* Photo credit: Rick Irving