COVID-19 has separated the ho-hums from the creative types due to ever-changing restrictions. Crystal Charity Ball’s annual Midpoint Luncheon was an example of the latter. Since restaurants were off-limits, that meant the annual get together would not be taking place at Salum’s on Wednesday, June 3.
No problem! 2020 CCB Chair Tucker Enthoven simply invited her committee to her home… or rather her beautiful backyard with its towering trees, covered terraces and pool. But on this occasion the seating would be made-to-order to comply with guidelines. There would be six-foot tables with elegantly printed tablecloths. At the end of each tables were one chair to accommodate two guests.
As for the menu, it was a double hit with Abraham Salum providing “sack lunches” of grilled chicken and vegetable sandwich with herbed goat cheese, baby gem lettuce salad with heirloom tomatoes, corn and pears with a passion fruit orange vinaigrette and homemade kettle chips with sea salt and black pepper. For dessert it was an Empire Bakery Brownie.
The dress for the outdoor lunch was strictly breezy and colorful with masks as the accessory du jour. And leave it to the CCB-ers to have designer masks at that. Doctor wife Fredye Factor‘s Chanel face covering was a gift from a friend, while 2017 CCB Chair Pam Perella had purchased hers from Hadleigh’s.
But the day was not about fashion. It was to recognize for Tucker and her committee chairs (Underwriting Chair Susan Farris, Children’s Book Chair Ola Fojtasek, Fashion Show Chair Margaret Hancock, Foundation Chair Mary Martha Pickens, Silent Auction Chair Laura Downing and Special Gifts Chair Brooke Shelby) to recognize those members who had led the charge to raise funds for the 2020 beneficiaries (Ability Connection, Catch Up And Read, Center For Vision Health, Children’s Medical Center Foundation on behalf of Children’s Health System Of Texas, Foundation For The Callier Center For Communication Disorders, Healing Hands Ministries, Mommies In Need Inc. and North Texas Food Bank) at that halfway point.
Receiving awards were the following:
- Top Fundraisers – Libby Allred and Shelle Sills
- Outstanding Foundation Committee Members – Brooke Shelby, Candace Winslow, Elizabeth Gambrell and Susan McSherry plus Stepping Up Fredye Factor and Wendy Messmann
- Top Children’s Book Sellers — Suzy Gekiere and Lynn McBee
- Stop Silent Auction/Special Gifts Solicitors — Jennifer Dix and Cara French plus Stepping Up Wendy Messmann
- Stepping Up To Go The Extra Mile —Favors Chair Tiffany Divis and Foundation Chair Mary Martha Pickens
- Stepping It Up — Lindsay Ballotta, Jennifer Chandler, Wendy Messmann and Amanda Shufeldt
Speaking of the Children’s Book, the deadline for photo submissions of munchkins and pets is nearing — Thursday, September 17, to be exact!