While the southeast coast is bracing for Hurricane Florence’s arrival, North Texans are relieved not to be near a hurricane zone. Sure, back in 1978 the relatively new TV show “Dallas” had the Ewing boys scrambling back to Dallas before a hurricane was to hit in “Wind of Vengeance.” Locals had a good giggle out of that episode.
Regardless, while the Carolinas, Virginias, Georgia and all the 13 colonies are preparing for an onslaught of devastation like Houston faced a year ago, it might be wise to consider a check list for the oncoming winter before it hits. Think back to 2010 and the infamous Super Bowl in 2011 when many parts of North Texas took days to thaw out. For instance, what about
- Batteries including solar battery chargers
- Insulation for pipes
- Seal air leaks in windows and doors
- A three-day supply of canned goods
- A manual can opener
- Water (rule of thumb: one gallon of water per person for seven days). Now they don’t expect you to drink one gallon per day, but what about washing hands, clothes, etc.)
- Pet food… if you have a pet
- A generator
Many of these suggestions are being applied to those in the wake of Florence, but an ice storm is simply a deep-freeze cousin that can turn life upside down.