For nearly a decade the team at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support has participated in North Texas Giving Day, using this powerful community campaign to raise funds for programs like our award-winning K-12 school and the expert counseling services that help women and children heal from the trauma of domestic violence. In recognition of its tenth anniversary on September 20, here are ten reasons why we love North Texas Giving Day:
- Donors are inspired to give. On North Texas Giving Day, we have the opportunity to ignite compassionate empathy among donors. Described as both cognitively knowing and emotionally feeling what others are experiencing, compassionate empathy is what moves people to give. North Texas Giving Day is the perfect avenue through which people can express compassionate empathy through their gifts.
- All eyes are upon us. More than 33 years into the fight against domestic violence, there is still much to share and much to do, including educating people on the simple steps we can all take to help someone who is experiencing abuse. On September 20, thousands of people will be paying special attention to nonprofits all over North Texas with hearts poised to give.
- Scheduled Giving. Being able to schedule gifts in advance gives our donors flexibility and eliminates the worry that they will miss the big day.
- Creativity knows no bounds. Giving Day brings out the most creative and daring campaign ideas around. One year, several of our board members dressed up as super heroes saving the city from domestic violence. The playful theme yielded serious returns from generous donors who cheered us on to victory. And, any day you can wear a cape and a mask to work is a fun day.
- Giving is made simple. Each year the process gets easier for donors translating into success for the more than 2700 nonprofits that participate.
- Parties in Victory Plaza! It’s such fun to be up before the sun, joining dozens of other agencies with signs and props to build excitement ahead of North Texas Giving Day. Camera-time is an added incentive that employees and volunteers clamor for.
- We set and break records year after year. The philanthropic sprit of the North Texas community is unmatched, making us the largest giving campaign in the nation. Last year, this community raised $39 million!
- The buoy of bonus funds. We are so grateful for the foundations and partners that undergird the campaign by providing bonus funds and prize money. Everyone wins on North Texas Giving Day thanks to these sponsors.
- Teamwork makes the dream work. The talented staff at Communities Foundation of Texas dedicates countless hours and resources to making North Texas Giving Day a success. On behalf of all the participating agencies, we send a special thank you to the CFT team for all they do!
- We are indeed better together. One day a donor came to our office with a donation we used to assemble welcome kits for new shelter clients. Before leaving he said, “The issue of domestic violence is bigger than each of us, but nothing is bigger than all of us.” This is the impact of North Texas Giving Day – whether it is hunger, poverty, homelessness, domestic violence or any other societal issue, on North Texas Giving Day, we are bigger than them all.
By Jan Langbein, Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support CEO
* Graphic and photo provided by Genesis Women’s Shelter And Support
In nine years, Communities Foundation of Texas‘ North Texas Giving Day has pumped more than $195 million into the North Texas community. In 2017, $39 million was raised through more than 118,000 gifts benefiting over 2,000 nonprofits.
On Thursday, September 20, support Genesis Women’s Shelter And Support by linking here and spreading the word. #NTxGivingDay