According to Dallas CASA Executive Director/President Kathleen LaValle,
Need a fun and air-conditioned outing with the kids this summer? Check out Dallas CASA’s Parade of Playhouses at NorthPark Center from June 29 to July 15. The annual awareness and fundraising event for the nonprofit that serves abused and neglected children draws visitors from all over North Texas and features child-sized playhouses available to win by raffle.
The tiny houses are precious, but more importantly they represent hope for children who’ve been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect. Dallas CASA’s trained community volunteers serve as voices in court for these children who are navigating a frightening and confusing child welfare system. While all kids love exploring these fun houses, the children Dallas CASA volunteers serve dream of homes free from abuse and neglect.
This year’s selection of 14 houses features some amazingly creative and fun houses. A few featured houses are:
- Presenting sponsor Crest Cadillac/Crest Infiniti is building “Bro’s Diner,” a fun take-off of traditional 1950s diners.
- Whataburger is building a house in the style of the vintage A-frame, orange and white-striped drive-through Whataburger buildings. The A-frame roof will be a rock wall on one side and a slide on the other. Inside, a mini kitchen will inspire future chefs.
- Omniplan Architects designed a playhouse using an in-house design competition amongst the company’s architects. The selected house features a flexible design on a fixed base that allows children’s imaginations to guide the space and its use.
- Patrick Jackson with You Dream It We Build It is a professional playhouse builder by trade. His design “Warped” is a collaborative effort with friends and colleagues in the building community, many of whom donated materials and even building space for Jackson to make children’s dreams come true.
The houses are donated by local architects, builders and corporations. All proceeds from raffle ticket sales benefit the children served by Dallas CASA. Viewing the playhouses is free and open any time during NorthPark hours. Raffle tickets to win a playhouses are $5 each or five for $20 and will be available to purchase during the event at NorthPark or at dallascasa.org.
* Graphic provided by Dallas CASA