The 2018 Art in Bloom sponsors and host committee were feted on Friday, March 23, and had a sneak peak of the “Flowers – An Exhibition” and “Power of Flowers” dressings. And to their wonderment, some of the floral pretties came alive. Even Art in Bloom keynoter Michael “The Flower Guy” De Feo was on hand along with his wife Li De Feo. Here’s a report from the field:
Art in Bloom Chair Dyann Skelton, Honorary Co-Chair Barbara and Steve Durham and Patron Party Chair Sarah Jo Hardin were joined by sponsor and host committee members on Friday, March 23, at the Dallas Museum of Art for the Art in Bloom 2018 Patron Party, sponsored by Beverage Marketing Associates, Duckworth Vodka and DMA League President Nancy Cates.
Attendees mingled as they enjoyed cocktails and hors d’oeuvres in the Museum’s concourse, while the John Adams Trio played nearby. Inspired by Broadway musical Pippin and this year’s theme, “Power of Flowers,” décor included colorful paper flowers at the entrance in addition to stunning arrangements by David Kimmel throughout the party space. Some of the flowers came alive in the form of mythical garden figures and dancers, perfect for photos with party goers.
As the evening continued, party goers like Nuel Cates, Mark Hardin, Spencer Hardin, Barbara and Don Averitt, Carol Resnick, Jill and Bruce Goldberg, Emily Maduro and Joseph Wielebinski, Karen and Scott Yaguchi, Fonda and Jay Arbetter, Sheila and Frank Durante, Suzanne and Stuart Guthrie, Linda and Steve Ivy, Kay and Peter Weeks, Betty and Jimmy Baird, Carole Ann and Dick Brown, Linda and Frank Spina, Marilyn and Joe Willems and Doris Jacobs.enjoyed cocktails and artfully displayed savory and sweet bites, such as butter poached shrimp and saffron potato, black pepper lamb loin on pecan cracker, blue cheese and date jam on brioche, roasted duck salad and chive crepe, petite macaroons and sea salt chocolate truffle cones with candied almonds.
An evening highlight was meeting Art in Bloom featured speaker Michael De Feo, with his wife Lia De Feo, prior to Monday’s luncheon and presentation, as well as a first view of “Flowers – An Exhibition,” a display of floral arrangements created by local designers and inspired by works of art from the Museum’s permanent collection on view in the Museum’s Level 2 European galleries. Participating designers were: Avant Garden, David Kimmel Design, Dr Delphinium, Forestwood Fine Flowers, Metka Floral Designs, Olive Grove Design, Petals A Florist, Ridgeview Florist and Sage Blooms.
Art in Bloom 2018 sponsors include:
- Rose Patron ($10,000) – Barbara and Steve Durham, The Eugene McDermott Foundation, Stanley Korshak and Amy Warren;
- Valet Sponsor ($5,000) – Peggy and Carl Sewell/Sewell Automotive Companies;
- Dahlia Patron ($5,000) – Faye C. Briggs, Suzanne Arkoosh Caruso, Nancy Cates, Beverly Freeman, Mignon and Stuart Jones, Michele Renault-Rutt and Dyann and John Skelton;
- Daisy Patron ($1,000-$2,500) – Melissa Foster Fetter, Jill Goldberg, Charlotte Kimberlin, Locke Lord LLP, Angela D. Paulos, Catherine Marcus Rose, Sage Blooms, Gayle Stoffel, Karen Yaguchi and Cindy Williams;
- Media Sponsor – PaperCity;
- Blog Sponsor – MySweetCharity.
* Photo credit: Dana Driensky