According to Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas CEO Jennifer K. Bartkowski,
Back when I went off to Girl Scout camp decades ago, my mother was looking for an extended break and I was too – that time spent away gave me independence and both of us the rest we needed during my teenage years.
But today, time is tight and kids are super busy so if they’re going to head to a camp, it has to offer a meaningful experience. Girl Scouts has responded to that challenge by offering an exciting and challenging all-girl leadership environment that incorporates college and career readiness. Girl Scouts, as the expert in how girls learn and develop as leaders, brings great value to new partnerships with program partners, universities, mentors and corporations, all looking to develop the next pipeline for future leaders in North Texas.
With camps that encourage girl-led, hands-on and collaborative learning, girls develop a strong sense of self, learn to seek challenges, and develop healthy relationships – the skills universities and companies say are essential for long-term success.
The Girl Scout Leadership Institute (GSLI) offers high school girls a unique opportunity that most girls can’t get anywhere else. Offering university prep, corporate visits and job shadowing, the GSLI has leveraged extensive community partnerships to offer girls the opportunity to explore what could lie ahead. Openings are still available at:
- USAA – Tuesday, July 11, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Ever wondered how you would select your car insurance once you begin to drive, how to find a credit card, or whether you will need renter’s insurance to lease an apartment?
- Comerica – Monday, July 17, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.: Participate in a mini-job fair to explore banking careers, talk to a job panel of industry female leaders and more!
Our Summer Adventure Series at the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas STEM Center of Excellence offers girls a creative space to innovate and create. In June, girls discovered how to build and fly a drone through an obstacle course. In July, a group of girls is participating in an adventure in antibiotic discovery where they’re actually learning to chemically engineer antibiotics. While the camp continues construction leading up to our grand opening in May 2018, we do still offer day-camps including:
- Adventures in Design: July 17-20 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Girls 6-12th grade are invited to join us for “Fabulous Fashion” sponsored by Fluor and pwc. If you have an eye for design and want to learn about patterns, production, textiles and tailoring to create your own line of products, this camp is for you! Explore all of our session descriptions at gsnetx.org/adventurecamp
- Adventures in Super Powers: July 24-27 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Calling all Wonder Women! Younger girls will build self-confidence through team building activities while older elementary campers will learn to use their voice to champion a cause important to them and discover how to be courageous. Sessions offered for girls K-5.
Girl Scouts also offers the traditional summer resident camp experience at three properties across our region. Did you know, you don’t have to be in a troop to participate in Girl Scout programs and camps? Join for $25/year to have access to member rates for all of our camps. To learn more, visit gsnetx.org/camp or call 972.349.2400.
* Photo provided by Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas