What better place to have a party during the season of giving than a jewelry salon? And since Bachendorf’s had been the jewelry sponsor for the 2016 KidneyTexas luncheon, it was the natural choice for the organization’s presentation of checks and the announcement of plans for 2017 on Wednesday, December 14.
Introduced by KidneyTexas President AB Aston, beneficiary selection committee member Kendra Karlock along with the 2016 KidneyTexas Luncheon Chair McKamy Tiner handed out the following checks:
- Baylor Health Care System Foundation — $25,000 for “A Longitudinal Study of Living Kidney Donors”
- Camp Reynal (National Kidney Foundation) — $30,225 for camper’s fees, counselors and medical personnel
- Children’s Medical Center Foundation — $10,000 for Pediatric Stone Center
- Methodist Health System Foundation — $4,775 for warming cabinets
- Parkland Health and Hospital Foundation — $98,500 for KidneyTexas Inc. Hemodialysis Unit
- Texas Health Resources Foundation— $25,200 for two Hemodialysis machines
When the last check was presented, it was time for the gift giving to continue. After AB turned over the presidential duties to 2016-2017 KidneyTexas President Andrea Alcorn, one of Andrea’s first acts was to give a “gorgeous crystal bowl” to AB. Then AB gat McKamy a “beautiful crystal angel — all to a resounding ovation.”
As her second act, Andrea revealed plans for the 2017. This year’s luncheon will have a trio chairing the fundraiser — Kendra, transplant survivor Christine Martin and Susan Russell.
And the final surprise of the evening took place when McKamy “came forward with a huge cake and blazing candles as everyone sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to AB, who was celebrating her birthday that evening.”
* Photo credit: Dana Driensky