To say the weather on Wednesday, March 16, was spectacular is an understatement. It was so absolutely perfect that Art In Bloom Chair Barbara Daseke must have negotiated quite a deal with Mother Nature. She also arranged for the Art in Bloom Patron Party to take place at Suzanne and David Palmlund’s Swiss Avenue mansion. And that’s exactly what happened. Here’s a report from the field:
Art in Bloom Chair Barbara Daseke, with Honorary Chair Linda Ivy, welcomed sponsors to the Art in Bloom International Patron Party on Wednesday, March 16, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Held at the beautiful Swiss Avenue home of Suzanne and David Palmlund, partygoers mingled while enjoying hors d’oeuvres and cocktails. Conversation soon turned to the Dallas Museum of Art League’s Art in Bloom on Monday, March 21, which will feature landscape architect and landscape historian Dr. Todd Longstaffe-Gowan, Gardens Advisor to Historic Royal Palaces in the United Kingdom.
The event will begin with a reception and silent auction followed by Dr. Longstaffe-Gowan in the Horchow Auditorium as he shares his experiences as the gardens advisor to historic royal palaces including The Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace Gardens and The Crown Estate, as well as recent projects such as the redesign of Kensington Palace Gardens, the eleven-acre pleasure ground around the palace, to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen.
Following, guests will convene in the Hamon Atrium for a seated lunch followed by a live auction. Dr. Longstaffe-Gowan will also serve as the judge of the inaugural table design competition with entries from Barbara Bigham, Faye Briggs, Barbara Daseke, Dr. Delphinium, Posh Couture Rentals and Jewel Williams. The lucky winner of the competition will receive a three-day spree for two in London, complete with exceptional accommodations, a lunch at Clarke’s Restaurant and a private tour with Dr. Longstaffe-Gowan of Kensington Palace and other historic Palace Gardens (airfare is not included).
Proceeds from the 17th annual event support the DMA’s exhibition and education programs and the DMA League’s Floral Endowment Fund. 2016 sponsors are:
- $20,000 – $10,000 – Luxury Rental Sponsor: Posh Couture Rentals and Media Sponsor: PaperCity;
- Globetrotter ($10,000) – Barbara Daseke, Linda Ivy and The Eugene McDermott Foundation/Margaret McDermott;
- $9,999 – $5,000 – Auction Sponsor: Heritage Auction and Centerpiece Sponsor: David Kimmel Design;
- Explorer ($5,000) – Faye C. Briggs, Beverly Freeman, Jill Goldberg, Margot Perot and Charlene Marsh;
- ($4,999 – $1,000) – Announcement Party Sponsor: Avant Garden, Master Class Sponsor: Dr. Delphinium and Patron Party Sponsor: Suzanne Palmlund;
- Explorer ($3,000) – Genie Bentley, Robin Francis Carreker, Sheila Durante and Laurel Brewster, Blake R. Lively, Angela D. Paulos, Linda Rayes, Catherine M. Rose, Livvy Swindle and Betsy Morton and Jewel Williams;
- Director and Speaker Sponsor ($1,000) – Melissa Fetter and Peggy Sewell.
Art in Bloom Patron Party attendees included, hosts Suzanne and David Palmlund, chair Barbara Daseke, honorary chair Linda Ivy and Steve Ivy, Dallas Museum of Art League President Jewel Williams, Beverly and Don Freeman, Barbara and Bob Bigham, Ile Greene, Sheila and Frank Durante, Katherine Phillips, Cecilia Moore and Anita Lester.
* Photo credit: Tamytha Cameron