When Jocelyn White becomes the trail boss of a fundraiser, she brings her posse of celeb pals in on the fun and the raising of money. So, it’s only natural that her chairing the Mad Hatter’s Tea’ “Steel Magnolias” on Thursday, April 21, at the Arboretum would be her cup of tea, literally.
Where to start? Well, it’s already been revealed that fashions will be from Tootsies and blonde Connie Carreker will be the honorary chair, but the newest well-knowns to join up are Celebrity Co-Chairs Linda Gray and Janine Turner. BTW, Linda will be doing double duty while in Big D. In addition to her helping Joce at the Arboretum, she’ll be the headliner the next day at “Authors at The Adolphus” luncheon in the hotel’s French Room chatting with Joce about her memoir, “The Road to Happiness is Always Under Construction.”
But back to the Mad Hatter’s. Serving as emcee Jocelyn has tapped KISS FM 106.1 Kellie Rasberry with KLUV 98.7’s Jody Dean handling the auctioneering.
But there’s still more. The announcement of the hat judges has just been announced. Now, before the names are listed, remember that bribes are tacky. Well, they are if you’re caught. Here is the rundown of the judges:
- Karen Carroll, contributor, Flower Magazine;
- Kathy Fielder, lifestyle designer, creator and manufacturer;
- Janelle Friedman, author of “You Are Invited: How to Plan Everything from Intimate Gatherings to Texas-Sized Parties” and executive with Friedman & Feiger, Attorneys At Law;
- Diane and Daryl Johnston, professional model and former National Football League fullback with the Dallas Cowboys/current NFL analyst, respectively;
- Matthew Campbell Laurenza, jewelry designer. His jewelry will be in the Fashion Show and the Live Auction;
- Robert Leleux, editorial director, Domino Magazine;
- Jane McGarry, host, “Good Morning Texas” on WFAA Channel 8;
- Gary Riggs, interior designer and owner, Gary Riggs Home.
As for the categories that are in keeping with the “Steel Magnolias” theme, here’s the list:
- Most True-To-Theme: Magnolias in ev’ry incarnation. Faux or real.
- The Southern Belle: Shelby’s girly-girl look. Can you say pink?
- Simply Elegant: Beautifully chic! If Audrey Hepburn had been Southern …
- Mother Nature Winks: Makin’ Mama Nature proud with the best use of her bounty.
- The Social Sorority: Best Sisterhood (Brotherhood?) award. We come in groups.
- Miss Merry Christmas: Crowns, Tiaras, Headdresses. Oh, my Stars!
- What Was She Thinking?: The Ouiser Boudreaux Award. It’s what YOU think!
- Best of Show/People’s Choice: Self-explanatory. The Steel Magnolia. Best of the Best!
Don’t you just know somebody’s gonna should up with a red-velvet armadillo!