Are you ready for some football? Well, you’re gonna have to be patient. Pigskins are resting up for the fall season. But how about some delicious tailgating? No, not the usual kind where a grill is jerry-rigged to the back of a pickup and some guy with a cigar in his mouth is telling you his secret recipe for preparing armadillo. Heck, no!
This one is the 11th Annual Taste of the NFL, where the area’s top chefs and restaurants have fun cooking up a storm. Now, you’re thinking, “Exactly what kind of ‘top chefs and restaurants’?” Fair question and it deserves an answer. Here’s the list so far of the chefs, restaurants and some of the items:
- Kent Rathbun Concepts (Abacus, Jasper’s, Hickory)
- Frosted Art, Bronwen Webber – Assorted Flavors of Cake Balls
- Del Frisco’s Steakhouse, David Holben
- Off the Bone BBQ, Dwight Harvey – Pecan Smoked Ribs/Blue Cheese Bacon Cole Slaw
- Shinsei, Jeramie Robison
- NTFB Community Kitchen, James Williams and Beverly Eskridge – Cake Truffles
- The Second Floor Restaurant, Scott Gottlich – Lamb kielbasa corn dogs and spicy mustard
- il Calabrese Ristorante & Bar, Luciano Salvadore – Orecchiette Alla Calabrese
- La Duni, Dunia Borga – Pistachio Homemade Ice Cream
- Legends Hospitality at Cowboys Stadium, Tony Sinese – Mahi Taco Escabeche and Guacamole Molecajete
- The Oceanaire Seafood Room, Ben Gossman – Shrimp Salad Profiterole with Jalapeno Aioli
- Nick & Sam’s
- Texas de Brazil, Evandro Caregnato – Toasted Farofa
- Max’s Wine Dive, Patrick Russell – Chicken-fried Escargot, Mustard Potato Salad
- Chamberlain’s, Richard Chamberlain – Pecan Smoked Pork Loin, Bacon Waffles, Pecan Bourbon Syrup
- Suze, Ernie Mendoza – Smoked Lamb Belly w/Truffled Mac
- Pappas Bros, Skyler Gauthier – Turtle Gumbo & Strip Loin with Mushrooms
There’s still more! Serving as the North Texas Food Bank’s signature event benefiting the “NTFB child programs,” it is going to be held at AT&T Stadium on Sunday, May 3, from 6 to 9 p.m. for the very first time. That means it will be both indoors and outdoors with music provided by The Rusty Brothers.
Of course, there will be silent and live auctions. Oh, please! This is North Texas and auctions are a staple of any fundraiser. But these are worth checking out: “a handbag and Highland Park Village in-store party donated by Christian Louboutin; Live Nation + House of Blues “Celebrate Summer with the Ultimate Concert Package” featuring reserved seating to concerts like New Kids on the Block with TLC & Nelly, Neil Diamond, Train, Tim McGraw, Rascal Flatts and Kelly Clarkson; a Garth Brooks autographed cowboy hat; Sports Memorabilia galore; and incredible restaurant packages from participating chefs!”
The event is being hosted by Dallas Cowboy Travis Frederick, past Dallas Cowboys Chad Henning, Preston Pearson and 2015 NFL Hall of Fame Inductee Charles Haley, plus Kent “Mr. Yummy” Rathbun.
The host committee include such fundraising party vets as Betty Lovell, Beverly Childs, Blake Eltis, Carol Roberts, Claire Kinzy, Danya Anderson, Garry Cox, Gillian Breidenbach, Kimberly Hall Alexander, Kyle Noonan, Nancy Gopez, Sunie and Steve Solomon and Whitney and Rob Strauss.
It’s less than a month away, so better hustle and get your tickets now.
* Graphic provided by the North Texas Food Bank