How about a baseball game with a once-in-a-lifetime team of All-Stars? No, we’re not talking about Major League Baseball. It’s Dirk Nowitzki’s 2013 Heroes Celebrity Baseball Game this Saturday.
Sure, it’s gonna be warm, but the timing couldn’t be better because come July, Dirk is gonna be busy, baby, waiting for his first offspring — a girl — to be born. As Dirk told Hit Radio FFH, “I am pleased that our (his and wife Jessica Olson’s) daughter is coming in this summer to the world — that is free of play time, so I can get up at night to take care of them. It’s good timing.”
But back to Saturday’s game at Dr Pepper Ballpark. If you’ve never been to Dr Pepper Ballpark, you’ve missed the fun of being in a stadium where there isn’t a bad seat.
The two teams will be made up of
- Managers: David Justice, Joe Trahan, Kevin Healy, Barry Pechenik and Jason Terry
- Pitchers: Mike Bacsik, Will Skelton and Matt Hinds
- Players: Dirk Nowitzki, Mark Cuban, Vince Carter, Brandon Carr, Michael Finley, Brian Cardinal, Geoff Stults, Ben Grieve, Jeff Staubach, Kirby Schlegel, David Kelton, James Laferney, Charlie McKinney, John Trabold, Barrett Kingsriter, Danny Bollinger and Marshall McKinney
- Managers: Goose Gossage, Donnie Nelson, Brian Nadurak and Jae Crowder
- Pitchers: CJ Blue and Cameron Brewer
- Players: Dez Bryant, Terrell Owens, Eddie Najera, JJ Barea, Drew Pearson, Devin Harris, Roy Williams, Michael Turner, Chandler Parsons, Reese Baez, Jason Schwartz, Rob Wechsler, JB Yowell, Tye Williams, Brian Dick and Jeff Carper
Being presented by Baylor Medical Center at Frisco, the game will take place at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco with the gates opening at 4:30 p.m. Before the “Heroes” take to the field, the Heroes Special Olympics All-Star Softball Game will get underway at 4:45 p.m. These teams will include both celebrities and amateurs players.
Even the national anthem will be memorable with Britney Holmes performing.
If this is your first time at this game, you’d better be prepared for between inning antics and activities. At the conclusion of the game, Baylor will also sponsor 10 minutes of fireworks.
Folks, this is about as G-rated as you’re going to get and it’s a one-night only event, so why not gather all the kids in your life and support the two foundations? Don’t forget to slab on some sunscreen and take along a pair of shades and a hat. We don’t want to sunburn that cute nose.
Graphic courtesy of Dirk Nowitzki's 2013 Heroes Celebrity Baseball Game