Aren’t you proud of yourselves? You’ve blown North Texas Giving Day to new heights. Thanks to you. . . and especially you. . . the total as of midnight was $14.4M. You’ve raised more money than anyone imagined in 17 hours. For mathematicians, that’s an increase of 35% over last year benefiting an additional 300 nonprofits.
Communities Foundation of Texas President/CEO Brent Christopher, who traded in his standard bow tie for pajamas on this day of giving, admitted,
“We are absolutely blown away by the record-breaking generosity and goodwill of North Texans. This is a testament to the strength of our community and our shared desire to make North Texas the most viable, best place to live. We are humbled to say the least.”
But the day was more than money-making. Here are some of the things that happened at CFT during the marathon fundraiser:
- CFT’s Carol Goglia won the prize for who stayed in their pajamas the longest (4:30am through close of shop after midnight). She even managed a quick trip to her son’s Boy Scouts meeting wearing her jammies.
- John Paul II High School kicked off the day with “drive-through donations” in their carpool line
- Animal participants during the day included SPCA adoptable dogs, Equest’s miniature pony ambassadors, Dallas Zoo penguins and armadillos
- Shakespeare Dallas held an Old English/Shakespearean insult competitions
- Worldwide event with donations from 14 countries (U.S., Canada, Austria, Brazil, Australia, China, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Great Britain, Germany, France, Nigeria, New Zealand, Finland.)
- Donations came in from each state in the U.S.
- At a Paul Quinn College event, Brent was asked how to make a donation to Paul Quinn. Royce West spontaneously shouted out, “Count on me for $1,000 to Paul Quinn College.” Then Mayor Mike Rawlings chimed in: “I’ll match him and give another $1,000!” This exchange was followed by three others.
- Hyatt Home donated a nap room for the NTGD team, but they were so busy only two took advantage of the offer.
The organizers are totally worn out and they’re crashing in their beds in the pj’s that they wore all day with the most marvelous grins on their faces. The nonprofits are thanking the stars above for the generosity of so many and a program that will help them provide for others.
And it’s all because of you. Now aren’t you proud of yourself? We are.
Photo provided by Communities Foundation of Texas