The 27th Annual Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer Oktoberfest Run may be a tad bit confusing at first blush. It’s part of Addison’s Oktoberfest, but it’s taking place on Saturday, September 22. Yes, Oktoberfest taking place in September seems slightly premature, but whatever!
Presented by Tom Thumb, all proceeds benefit Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer, the “Dallas based non-profit organization founded in 1980 dedicated to raising awareness and fundraising for pediatric cancer research and to providing hope and support for children with cancer.”
Those last three words seem overwhelmingly cruel and unthinkable — children with cancer. The disease is one’s worst nightmare when it hits adults, but children having to endure prolonged and excruciating treatments and a possible premature death is beyond anyone’s imagination.
That’s why WOKC has been in business. To help both those children and their families through this ordeal. After all, when a child suffers, the entire family and extended members feel every moment of the pain.
Back to the details of the fundraiser. Starting at 8 a.m. with a 1-mile Fun Run/Walk, the 5K Run/Walk convenes at 8:30 a.m. in Addison Circle Park. The entertainment, food, drinks, awards and prizes then take place from 8:45 to 11 a.m.
Some other perks include:
- The first 500 kids to cross the Fun Run finish line receive a goody bag that includes one free pass for the Talley Carnival rides until 5:00 pm on race day.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three 5K male/female, overall and masters’ division winners. Awards will be given in each 5K age category.
As an added incentive, WOKC participants get an early entry to the Oktoberfest Carnival Rides, an hour before it officially opens.
How much is it going to set you back? Here goes:
- $20 for 1-mile Fun Run/Walk
- $20 for Virtual Runner
- $20 for 5K Run/Walk for early registration through September 15
- $25 for 5k Run/Walk during race week (September 16-20)
Just go online and register now.